Friday, July 11, 2014

Selling "The Social Event" in an Indie Bookstore?

After having written my book, and having sold the first one hundred copies, visions of bookstores danced in my head. I saw my cover, poster sized, plaster prominently as I entered Antigone, Mostly Books and Bookmans. Yes, even Copperfields Books up in my native Sonoma County had my book's image looming large upon entry. Each store had given me a couple square feet of table space (that's right, table!! Not lowly shelf) near the front. And they even placed a few hundred of those free promotional bookmarks I had printed up placed near the checkout. It was the closest thing to a wet dream I had experienced since my teenage years. 

Then I awoke.

The simple truth of the matter is that many single-location, independent bookstores have trouble making payroll their margin is so tight. If you're an indie author with a debut novel and no other writing track record, there is virtually no chance that an independent bookstore will want to buy your book and carry it in inventory - no matter what the price. However, if I am willing to absorb the risk and costs of my book occupying space in their store, there is a way. It's called consignment.

Typical consignment arrangements are a 40/60 split of the sales price, with the 60% going to me. Most, but not all, independent book sellers will not accept my book for consignment sales, however, if I can't meet the following basic criteria: 
  • My book must look professionally done -- a high quality cover design, professional looking formatting and print quality, industry quality cover and page stock and industry standard size are a must. If I cut corners here it will show quickly.
  • The subject matter must be acceptable -- this is subjective and up to the owner or book buyer to interpret -- I probably will not be able to get a wiccan book into a christian bookstore.
  • A quick scan must reveal no glaring errors -- we all know what a well written, well edited book looks and reads like, my book must look like that.
What can you do for me?

If I do decide to trod down the consignment sales path I must remember, they're doing me a service, they don't have to. In return, I need to be driving business to their store. Every chance I get, I am telling people to go to that store to buy my book, or any book for that matter. Another way I might drive business to the bookstore is by donating a copy to the public library, or place it in a venue where it can drive readers to the bookstore. The “library shelf” at an indie coffee shop in town is another good place to leave a copy, or drop it into waiting rooms (doctor’s, dentists, and veterinarian’s offices make great sites). And put a big fat sticker that says, “Lobby copy - available at the Such and So Bookstore - Buy Local!”

So there are options. And, dreams can come true. Now, off to work, I have books to sell!



Books on a shelf... Waiting for readers.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment